[TowerTalk] Winds, storms, and locations

L. B. Cebik cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

The ridge/hill top discussion reminds me of experiences since I took
weather courses as part of air traffic control days for the USAF.  Many
locales have "storm alleys," that is, areas in which frontal storms of
damaging proportions tend to proceed regularly--in statistically higher
rates than other areas.  Needless to say, it is wise to study weather
phenomena in a locale long enough before investing in a hill/ridge top to
be sure that it is not within the local storm alley.  Folks in Athens, GA,
seemed unaware of their storm alley until 2 tornedos in a 3-month period
took the very same route--and subsequent frontal thunderstorms added
insult to the injury.  I have detected storm alleys in other cities in
which I have lived--and was glad that dumb luck placed my home outside
them.

Although one cannot thwart Murphy's Law, one can still try to avoid
statistically weather-battered locations for very serious tower
installations.

-73-

LB, W4RNL