[TowerTalk] Loos 90 B with 5/16 EHS and guy tensioning

Steve Miller millersg@dmapub.dma.org
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:45:59 -0400 (EDT)

>> Does anyone have a lookup table for the Loos 90 B
>>  guage relating the gauge reading to tension when
>>  using 5/16 EHS? I seem to recall seeing this info
>>  somewhere but cannot locate it....
>
>     The Loos Model 90 B is good from 3/16" to 9/32" so it won't do 5/16".
>You need a PT-3 for that size of cable.

Check the TT archives. W3LPL uses a modified 90 B for tensioning his 5/16"
guys. I have modified my guage ala W3LPL to accept 5/16 EHS. I am looking
for calibration information from anyone else who may be using the 90 B on
5/16 EHS. Otherwise, I will have to create a lookup table based on my own
calibration tests.

With a little filing, the 90 B can measure 5/16" cable at a cost of $39
versus the $130 PT-3. The 90 B also measures 3/16" and 1/4" cable that
the PT-3 does not (requiring another $60 to buy a PT-2).

For my purposes, the 90 B was a better value.

Steve Miller   N8SM   millersg@dma.org   http://www.dma.org/~millersg