[TowerTalk] GM 70' Hazer ... (vs. CLIMBING)

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:18:31 -0600

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:59:39 +0000 alsopb <alsopb@gloryroad.net> writes:

> Guys,
>
> I know you guys who believe macho men climb towers, but you too will
> get older and start looking for a way to limit your climbing.  Thus,
> this discussion is for us who are in that boat-- or anybody else who
> doesn't equate tower climbing with his manhood.

	Sounds a bit "testy" here already.  :-)   N4KG

> For me, the bottom line is the antennas are in the air, operating a
> greater percentage of the time.  One doesn't need to get a crew
> together to do anything after the initial installation.

	One man CAN raise and lower antennas by himself.
	N4AR does it all the time.  Two people makes it easier.
	For large antennas, a third person is useful if no
	motorized machinery is used.   The trolley method
	is SAFE and efficient.  N5KO / WN4KKN and I installed
	my 75 lb Telrex 3L20 and TH6 on 80 ft towers when Trey
	was a 140 lb(?)	high schooler.  Took about 30 minutes
	once the rigging ropes were in place.   N4KG

> Just finished lowering/raising the 4 EL GEM QUAD and 40M rotary
> dipole
> array on my GM 70' HAZER tower.  This was for inspection after the
> winter and after some thunderstorms.  It took all of 1 hour (and
> 2400  hand cranks to do).  Everthing could be worked on while on the
> ground  or an 8' stepladder.

	2400 Hand Cranks?  OUCH !   G3FXB died from a heart
	attack after lowering his crankup tower before a storm.
	I just rotated a side mounted WARC antenna at 60 ft
	in less than half an hour and I've had a heart attack,
	angioplasties, and triple by-pass surgery.  I'd climb
	60 or 70 ft any day before doing 2400 hand cranks!
	de N4KG

> The 70' Rohn Hazer arrangement takes about the same time to lower
> plus a bit to climb to release the lower guys.

	Releasing the guys?   Some people like to live dangerously.

> Everytime I do this (it's been at least 15 times in 3 years for
> experimention and antenna repairs), I pat myself on the back for
> spending the money.  I doubt that things would ever get repaired as
> quickly as they break, if climbing was needed.

	I understand this point of view, but climbing is NOT
	a big deal if you and your legs are in shape.  When
	I was younger, I did tower work for FUN.  At age 56
	the emphasis is on WORK but 60 or 70 ft is still
	pretty easy on a well guyed (safe) tower.  N4KG

> I recently put up a 70' Rohn 25 tower with a HAZER also.  Perhaps
> some of you are interested in the differences.
>
> From the ease of operation standpoint both are easy.  The GM tower
> requires no climbing at all since it HAZER is on a track on the side
> of the tower.  The rohn requires one to climb to the 30' level to
> detach the guys.
>
> The GM tower is closer to self-supporting.  The phylistrand guys
> have
> only 120 pounds tension each and use screw in anchors.  The total
> downward force of the guys is about 360 pounds under static
> conditions. The tower is 16" on a side.  Climbing is not recommended
> as someone over 150 pounds in weight will deform the Z braces
> somewhat.  The concrete pad required is 4'x4'x4'.  The rating is 15
> sq
> ft at 87 mph with a 250 pound weight limit on the HAZER.  The tower
> came as a complete package. Nothing else to buy.

	Self supporting but the braces will BEND if someone
	over 150 lbs steps on them?  Would you REALLY
	trust this tower without guys?  (Or with?)  N4KG

> The rohn 25 tower arrangement was designed for 90 mph at about the
> same square footage.  I went mostly phylistrand (t4000) and the rest
> 3/16 EHS.  It is truly amazing how much more these guys weigh
> compared
> to pure phylistrand.  The total downward guy force is about 1200
> pounds under static conditions.  Digging the guy anchor holes was a
> real pain and the total concrete (hole + guy anchors) was about the
> same.  The rebar cages for the anchors were also a pain to procure
> and
> work around. The rest or the hardware was also considerably heaftier
> than on the GM tower. Procurement was by scrounging used stuff
> wherever possible.  Of course this tower can be climbed.  Had I to
> do
> this again, I would have gone 100% phylistrand so that whipping the
> guys around the beam elements during raising/lowering would be
> easier.  The HAZER wraps around the tower and slides on rollers.
>
> How did the cost work out? GM tower $4200 including concrete.
> Rohn 25 tower/HAZER $3100.  All new parts would have raised the ROHN
> 25 cost.  If I had the extra money, I would have gone GM again.
>
> Now, these towers don't guarantee no climbing ever.  If you rotor
> goes
> and the antenna is pointed the wrong way, you can't lower the HAZER.
> This type of failure is a problem with the GM tower since you've got
> to loose 50 pounds or find a 140 pound school boy to climb the tower
> and orient the antenna.
>
> Overall, I think these towers (while compromises) provide ME with  over
> all lower down time.  The emphasis is on ME.  KC1XX could certainly
> be able to keep downtime on any tower to a minimum.

	If you really fear climbing then this is a solution for you.
	No argument.  But why all the snide remarks about
	those of us who do climb?   N4KG

	Climbing takes getting used to.  For starters, hang off the
	side of your tower just a few feet above ground until you
	feel comfortable.  Also, DO NOT look DOWN when you
	start climbing.  I remember the first time I climbed a tower.
	I got part way up a 60 footer, stopped, looked down, and
	didn't go up another step!  Look out at the horizon instead.
	Eventually, you will come to be comfortable on a tower
	but it does take time and repetition.  Be sure to use a
	GOOD safety belt and harness.  Better yet, a fall arrest
	with TWO Lanyards so that you are never unsecured
	when going around guys.  N4KG

> By the way, with the GM tower, 70' is the maximum.  One would
> have  to  go to rohn (25, 45 or 55') to go higher with a HAZER.
> Of course,  one would have to climb and release at least two sets
> of guys for these  taller towers.

	Talk about living dangerously!   Let's remove the bottom
	two sets of guys from this 100 ft tower and see if the tower
	buckles. Right.  N4KG

> One has to be a bit careful which antenna one uses.  Some don't
> have  a big enough slot between an element and the mast/boom
> mount to decend  around the tower.
>
> By the way, disconnecting guys isn't a big deal.  The GM tower is
> self  supporting to 50'.  One only disconnects one set of guys at a
time.

	Still sounds like a lot of climbing to me.  N4KG

> The Rohn 25 tower still feels solid with just the top guys attached
> and the bottom dropped.  You don't do this on windy days.
>
> Be glad to answer questions.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.