[TowerTalk] New Crankup Hazard

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:00:11 -0700

n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> > Just finished lowering/raising the 4 EL GEM QUAD and 40M rotary
> > dipole
> > array on my GM 70' HAZER tower.  This was for inspection after the
> > winter and after some thunderstorms.  It took all of 1 hour (and
> > 2400  hand cranks to do).  Everthing could be worked on while on the
> > ground  or an 8' stepladder.
>
>         2400 Hand Cranks?  OUCH !   G3FXB died from a heart
>         attack after lowering his crankup tower before a storm.
>         I just rotated a side mounted WARC antenna at 60 ft
>         in less than half an hour and I've had a heart attack,
>         angioplasties, and triple by-pass surgery.  I'd climb
>         60 or 70 ft any day before doing 2400 hand cranks!
>         de N4KG

Heart attack from overexertion from cranking is a new hazard for me.  With
the average age of hams climbing everyday, this is a significant
consideration.

>         Climbing takes getting used to.  For starters, hang off the
>         side of your tower just a few feet above ground until you
>         feel comfortable.  Also, DO NOT look DOWN when you
>         start climbing.  I remember the first time I climbed a tower.
>         I got part way up a 60 footer, stopped, looked down, and
>         didn't go up another step!  Look out at the horizon instead.
>         Eventually, you will come to be comfortable on a tower
>         but it does take time and repetition.  Be sure to use a
>         GOOD safety belt and harness.  Better yet, a fall arrest
>         with TWO Lanyards so that you are never unsecured
>         when going around guys.  N4KG
>         Still sounds like a lot of climbing to me.  N4KG
>
> > Be glad to answer questions.
> >
> > 73 de Brian/K3KO

I certainly agree with N4KG's obseravtions about getting used to climbing
towers gradually.

At 61, I still am OK on a tall tower.  Just last week, AA7E asked me to help
him take down two 25G towers.  One was 100 feet and the other was 90 feet.
AA7E  got the antennas down and I did the rest of the high work.  Did one
tower one day and the other the next day.  This does NOT make me Macho . . .

I also understand about phobias and, even though I can seem to climb towers
with little difficulty (Note: I did not say NO difficulty.), I can't handle a
harmless garter snake.  Even though I know they will not harm me, I just
can't pick one up.  I suppose I could get used to it though, by handling
worms more (I have very little problem with worms), then rubber snakes, then
baby snakes, and work up to larger ones, but WHY would I want to put myself
through that horrible experience?  Now, if my yard were infested with garter
snakes and it cost me $100 each to have them removed, I would have a good
reason to get used to handling them.  Sorry about the off topic rambling
about snakes.  I just wanted you guys to know that I DO NOT regard myself as
Macho around harmless garter snakes.  They just give me the "willies" which
is a very unscientific diagnosis of my snake phobia.  I would rather climb a
200 foot tower than pick up a harmless garter snake!

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com