[TowerTalk] lightning damage

Rick Bullon kc5ajx@hotmail.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:40:17 GMT

Hello all
Well I had my first lightning strike last week ( ouch) but the damage was
minimal just to the coax connection at the Butternut vertical and 1 feed
though connector at the house.
My question to the list is since it looks like the strike travel though the
RG-8 coax should I replace it? It looks fine except for some blackening at
the coax connectors on both ends.

For those who are not familiar with the Butternut antennas the connection at
the feed point is at the bottom and is a pigtail type of connection. THe
strike cause the center connection to brake and blew out the center of the
feed thru connector at the window of the shack.
  The coax was disconnected equipment in the shack so no damage inside
although next time I think I will disconnect from the outside of the window
and not from inside!!!

One more question on another subject. I plan to use this vertical for the
lower bands and for quick contacts on the upper bands when I get my tower
and TH-6 up. How far from the tower do I need to be so as not get
interference from the vertical and the beam or will the beam be far enough
above the vertical as not to matter? The tower will be 70' of Rohn 25
Thanks
Rick Bullon
KC5AJX