[TowerTalk] lightning damage

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:40:44 -0600

To check your coax, measure the power in and power out
to a 50 Ohm load.  If the loss is within specification, use it.

You probably can't get the vertical far enough from the
tower to avoid interaction.  It is still worth doing.
You will need at least 16 radials, preferably 30 or more,
for good efficiency.

For the high bands, add another tribander at 40 ft, or
even just a triband dipole mounted to a tower leg. A
2L tribander is light and easy to sidemount.  During
daytime conditions, a LOW antenna is often better
to Europe and Africa on the high bands, especially
during high sunspots.

A triband dipole 6 to 10 ft above the TH6, parallel to
the boom is a good idea.

You can gamma match the boom of your TH6 as a
rotary dipole on 40M.  GREAT ANTENNA.  Or a
shorty 2L40 on a STRONG mast.