[TowerTalk] GAS604 screw anchor...

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:43:37 +0000

I had asked the mysterious Tower2sell about his comment on screw anchors
and their ratings, and I thought the reply was so informative that I got
his permission to forward it.  Follows...

>From: Tower2sell@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:09:09 EDT
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GAS604 screw anchor...
>To: n4zr@contesting.com
>
>Pete, go ahead and post this edited answer to your question and add your
origianl question to it.

>Tower2sell2aol.com
>
>>Dealers are not AB Chance, they are usually  independent companies who
supply merchandise made by various companies. You can call up ROHN in
Frankfert, IN and order a few anchors (subject to their minimum charge and
shipping charges). You can't call up AB Chance in Centrailia, MO and order
a small quanity. And ROHN buys the anchors for a low price by the truckload
and marks them up and sells them by the piece.

>>There are a lot of companies that purchase anchors for various reasons
and don't buy towers. They have multiple applications and they only need a
few anchors at a time.

>>As a matter of fact the anchors could be made by either Joslyn or AB Chance.
>
>>AB Chance puts on siminars on anchor design and publishes design manuals.
One of those manuals is on CD or can be downloaded (I can't remember
which). Check out AB Chance web site.

>>Anchors are nomally installed to a specified torque that matches the
required soil holding capacity. Installing the anchors by hand means that
you can't read the torque because you don't have the proper installtion
equipment. (AB Chance also sells that equipment to their installers) To
estimate an anchor's capacity without the torque method requires a soil
boring, which will cost thousands of dollars. That's why it's easier to
hook a cable to a bulldoser or other larger piece of equipment, and with a
come-a-long and dynomometer, load test the anchor to the required design
capacity. (Obviouly not to the ultimate capacity. That would be like
testing matches to see if they worked)

>>I hope that sort of explains the anchor question.
>>
>>Tower2sell@aol.com

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Don't forget to update your entry on the World Contest Station Database,
now at http://www.contesting.com/stationdatabase.htm