[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:32:32 -0400

> I am looking for a good high-power antenna tuner, one that will find
> fairly heavy use on 160 meters.
>
> I am looking at the Ameritron ATR-30 and NyeViking MB-V-A.  Can anyone
> recommend one over the other?

The ATR 30 will blow the Nye Viking totally out of the water on
most loads, and handle more power.

You probably won't be able to hurt the ATR-30 with 5 kW CW
carrier output, and it has a wider matching range than the Nye
tuner.

 Would an old Drake MN-2700 work just as
> well?

No. It won't work near as well as either.

Is the NyeViking really worth over $300 more than the Ameritron?

I don't think it is worth 300 less than the ATR-30.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com