[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:19:48 EDT

In a message dated 23.04.00 19:36:40 Pacific Daylight Time, dick@libelle.com
writes:

<<
 I am looking for a good high-power antenna tuner, one that will find
 fairly heavy use on 160 meters.

 I am looking at the Ameritron ATR-30 and NyeViking MB-V-A.  Can anyone
 recommend one over the other?  Would an old Drake MN-2700 work just as
 well?  Is the NyeViking really worth over $300 more than the Ameritron?

 Thanks for the help.

 73, Dick

For unbalanced loads all you need is a big rotary inductor or a coil with
clips and a variable with fixed Xc values sometimes to go across it and an L
network will match any Z load and power level you got easily and for a low
cost.  It's easy to tune up also and record the values.  For 160M there is no
easier tuner to use.  I also have a Balznced L tuner also all on one shaft
for a quick tune up in a mechanically sneaky way which is also possible with
an unbalanced L.  It has 2 configurations for loads above and below 50 ohms.
I haven't found a better or cheaper configuration.  k7gco