[TowerTalk] KR6NR Power line noise solution

JimW9WU@aol.com JimW9WU@aol.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:00:49 EDT

Greg:

In 1967-69, I was KR6NR on Okinawa.  One of the few there that ever
operated cw and contests.  45K contacts in the two years.  285 DXCC
Before every contest, those few of us would contract the Ryukan Electric
Power Company offices.  Both the president and vp were Americans and
both were hams, although not contesters.  They'd send their crews to
power wash the insulators on the high tension lines near my qth.  Silence
for the contest as this usually washed the salt spray away.  I'm told that
this policy was implemented since in the past, some hams (I still deny I
ever did it) would take their M16's home from the barracks and shot out the
insulators we could see sparking a few days before the Test.  Worked every
time.

73, Jim W9WU  ex DL4TJ, W9JZK/am(XV5), KR6NR and KH6HEI