[TowerTalk] US Tower bearing measurement needed

DMartin560@aol.com DMartin560@aol.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:51:45 EDT

In a message dated 04/29/2000 6:05:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, K7LXC writes:

<< Well, then I'm not sure what you're trying to do. The top-of-the-tower
U-bolt is just to hold the mast while you deal with something else - like
rotator removal, raising or lowering mast, etc. In the case of a US Tower
where there are just a couple of bolts up there to hold the mast, I leave the
U-bolt in as a vertical stopper and then the tower bolts only have to hold
the torque on the mast.

       You can always have another U-bolt.

 Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC >>

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply, and I now know why your ideas didn't make sense to me.

I have a customer with a US Tower 60' crank-up, installed and unmodified with
rotor shelf and top thrust bearing - TB2US.  We will be installing a
commercial two-way radio antenna for his business operations.  The antenna is
a Celwave Super Stationmaster, UHF band, 22 feet long, 2 3/4" dia mounting
pipe, 23 lbs weight per catalog.
The application requires a simple 2" - 2 1/2" dia X 24" long mounting pipe
(mast) out the top of the tower similar to that of a Rohn 25 top section.

My desire is to have my metal shop fab a 3/16" to 1/4" thick flat plate with
a mast welded to it at a right angle. I would remove the bearing assy and
bolt the flat plate back in the same holes and end up with a vertical pipe
out the top of the tower.

So, what I need is the center to center measurement of the bearing flange
bolt holes so I can have these holes drilled in the plate by the fab shop.

My whole reason for asking for this measurement is that I forgot to measure
it last week when I visited the job.  The job is a 45 min drive away and the
customer won't climb 20 feet to the top of the tower to measure it.....guess
I'll just make another trip....

Thanks and 73 to Steve and others!
Dwayne   KG4ADM