[TowerTalk] AB-105 assembly: bolt tightening procedure

Eric Scace K3NA eric@k3na.org
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:41:38 -0400

   W3LPL taught me how to build AB-105 and I've constructed a few using the
'piece at a time' method.  It works fine.  Two additional suggestions

   When building a piece at a time, we do not tighten down the bolts right
away.  Rather, we build up as much as 20 feet (two sections) with finger
tight hardware.  ("Finger tight" here means the lockwashers are engaged but
not smashed down into their final position.)  Then we go down to the lower
loose section and tighten each bolt up to the final tightness, starting from
the bottom and working up.  This process makes it easier to align the bolt
holes as pieces are being assembled, and helps ensure the tower is straight
when the bolts are tightened.

   A second tip is to tighten each horizontal level of bolts consistently.
For example, tighten the lowest row of bolts starting with a particular
leg... going around the tower to each bolt at that level in turn... in a
clockwise direction.  Then, move up to the next row of bolts (about 14
inches higher on the tower).  Tighten each bolt at this level, in turn, but
going from bolt to bolt in the OPPOSITE direction (counter clockwise in this
example).

   If you always tighten bolts going around in the same direction, you can
build in a slight corkscrew in a 100 foot tower.  Switching directions
eliminates the corkscrew.

-- Eric R3/K3NA