[TowerTalk] Guy wire Clamps

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:45:42 EDT

In a message dated 08/01/2000 11:40:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
makemyday@worldnet.att.net writes:

> > > OK, they are *easier* and *faster*, but are they more *dependable*,
>  > >  especially after many years??
>  >
>  >     YES! They don't loosen up....
>
>    because they are loose to begin with...

    Where do you come up with this stuff? Remember those chinese finger
puzzles when you were a kid that got tighter when you pulled on them? Same
thing with Preformed grips.

    Preforms were designed and tested by people a lot more clever than you
are and the fact that there are hundreds of thousands (millions?) of them in
use TODAY with no consequences is good enough for me.

>  > and are more benign to the guys since they
>  > don't compress the strands.
>
>    That's my whole point.  If you want durable long-lasting reliable
>    dependable connections, you need to apply serious compression to the
>    strands. U-clips do that, preforms don't.

    Fine. Use cable clamps to your heart's content. Just don't berate people
who use the latest and improved guy wire termination devices.

    The 'serious compression' is applied along the whole length of the
Preform, not just where three cable clamp U-bolts touch the cable. Also, the
'serious compression' from the clamp U-bolts is a stress riser and
over-tightening them can damage and cut the cable.

>    Now, in the best 'LXC-follow-the-manufacturer's-advice tradition,
>    does the current Rohn catalog permit preforms?  Or do all their
>    drawings show u-clips like in my 25-yr-old catalog?

    Get an up-to-date catalog - Rohn SELLS Preforms. There isn't a
professional tower guy in the country that would choose cable clamps over
Preformed grips.

    Do you serve the guy strands when you're done using your cable clamps?
Why not?

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech