[TowerTalk] Rohn Guy Attachment

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:33:20 -0700

There has been some recent discussion here about attaching
guy wires to Rohn tower by threading them around the leg and
through the cross brace welds such that the welds are held
in compression by the guywire.  The position of some people
here has been that this is a no-no since they do not see it
done this way in their Rohn Catalog.

Well . . . I have a LOT of different Rohn Catalogs dating
back to about 1967 and the information in them varies
considerably.  For example, Rohn used to sell crank ups.
You don't see that data any more.  Two years ago, Rohn quit
selling tiltovers so that information is missing from
current catalogs.  Even the basic data available about a
common ordinary Rohn 25G section has changed over the
years.  I don't really think the design has changed
significantly . . . just the engineering information that is
published about it has changed . . . mostly parts of it have
been deleted.  Rohn used to publish a LOT more detail than
they do now.

So where does that leave us?  Is the data in the CURRENT
catalogs the only data we can use?  If so, there is NO data
on tiltovers . . . or early Rohn crankups . . . or torque
bars.  Personally, I think there are two reasons technical
data is dropped from Rohn Catalogs: 1) The product line
changes and data is deleted and added as the products are
deleted and added, and 2)  Rohn has discovered there is less
"legal exposure" if you publish less information.

So . . . the diagram showing the guywire wrapped around the
tower leg is in a catalog I have dated 1977.  The drawing
number is B-750008.  It has been suggested that we find a
web site to put some of these interesting drawings on and so
far, I have two tentative offers for web space.  The problem
is that each and every one of these Rohn drawings are
copyrighted and there are very specific warnings about
having to have written consent to make a copy.  I called
Rohn on the phone today and was told that I would probably
NEVER get permission to publish any of their drawings (on a
web site), especially written permission.  I was also told
that dealers make copies of individual catalog pages and
send them to a specific customer every day.  So, basically,
I can't share my Rohn archives with towertalk on a web
site.  I can, however, offer to make a copy of this
particular sheet for anyone who wants it.  All you have to
do is send me an SASE and I'll send you a copy.

One interesting thing about this drawing is that the cable
wrapped around the tower leg does not look like EHS since it
conforms quite nicely to the contours of the leg bracing.
It looks more like wire rope or "aircraft cable".  It is
nicely clamped with three cable clamps and "served".  (I
can't imagine how you can "serve" aircraft cable . . . ! !)
Well, it's a drawing and not a photograph so I think the
draftsman took some liberties and used his imagination.  I
do know this:  it would be a waste of my time to try to get
an explantion of any of this from Rohn . . .

You want a copy of this drawing?  SASE to:

Stan Griffiths, W7NI
18955 S.W. Blanton Street
Aloha, OR 97007-1230