[TowerTalk] Rohn Guy Attachment

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 07:13:03 -0400

Stan Wrote:

> One interesting thing about this drawing is that the cable
> wrapped around the tower leg does not look like EHS since it
> conforms quite nicely to the contours of the leg bracing.
> It looks more like wire rope or "aircraft cable".  It is
> nicely clamped with three cable clamps and "served".  (I
> can't imagine how you can "serve" aircraft cable . . . ! !)
> Well, it's a drawing and not a photograph so I think the
> draftsman took some liberties and used his imagination.  I
> do know this:  it would be a waste of my time to try to get
> an explantion of any of this from Rohn . . .
>
> You want a copy of this drawing?  SASE to:

I made the original comment. If you read my post, you will see I
was specifically talking about guy-grips, and secondly talking
about EHS in general terms.

All the instructions that have arrived with the guy grips I've
purchased, and the data for EHS seven strand has clearly warned
to not put the strand or EHS over small radius surfaces.

That's specifically why, whenever we have a shackle or clevis, we
are supposed to use a thimble to provide a large radius surface.

I don't care what Rohn, or anyone else, shows in an old drawing. I
do pay attention to what the manufacturer of the item I'm using
specifically warns against doing.

You can use kinked EHS strand if you like, but not me! Putting
nearly the same stress on the cable as reversing a saddle does
isn't a good idea in my book, especially since I've seen towers fall
from guy failure in both cases.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com