[TowerTalk] Roof Towers

KIRK LAWRENCE kirklaw@flint.umich.edu
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:47:38 -0400

                   Has anyone had experience in using a tri-bander on
top of your roof with a
                   roof tower mount? Have been looking to put up my TA-
34XL, but if I choose
                   to mount it on a roof tower (such as a Glen Martin 10
footer) will I have any
                   distortions in the pattern or swr problems if it is only
10 ft. from the roof
                   line? I called Mosley and didn't really get a convincing
answer, but they
                   stated that anything beyond 7ft from the antenna
shouldn't affect it at all. If
                   I choose a roof mount, the antenna would be approx
40 to 45ft high (from
                   ground level). I would like some real "hands-on"
answers from those who
                   have been there.   I realize that the Tri-bander setting
in the garage works better in the air (hi hi), but should I consider
waiting until I could afford a crank-up (which would be in about a
year)?  What I want to try an avoid is the "geeze I should have just
waited" senerio.  I do have a dipole and vertical that currently work
well, just would like to get out a little better and I realize I could
with the beam.  AND....what advice for roof mounted towers??
Lightning protection, etc.  Any  help would be appreciated......73
Kirk AB8B