AW: [TowerTalk] Stacking of Quads

Gerhard Burian office@burian.com
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:17:43 +0200

Dear Pete,

What i did so far was quite simple. I took the original dimensions from the
4 ele 5 band Quad from Lightningbolt (24 ft boom) and run a free space
simulation. The data for 20m are:

f(Mc)    gain (dBi)    bwidth/az(°) bwidth/el(°)   F/B(dB)
14.0      8.2            60            68            6.0
14.2      9.0            62            70            17.4
14.4      8.6            60            68            9.6
Bandwidth for SWR>2 is about 200kc

I took the two directors off and made a 2 element Quad on a 12 ft boom out
of it and got without any further optimization:

f(Mc)    gain (dBi)    bwidth/az(°) bwidth/el(°)   F/B(dB)
14.0      6.9            68            82            3.8
14.2      7.4            74            90            10.8
14.4      6.5            78            98            8.0
Bandwidth for SWR>2 is again about 200kc

Than I made a stack of two of those with center distance of 24 ft and I got
without any further optimization:
f(Mc)    gain (dBi)    bwidth/az(°) bwidth/el(°)   F/B(dB)
14.0      8.6            70            58            5.5
14.2      9.1            74            60            14.9
14.4      8.6            76            62            14.6
Bandwidth for SWR>2 for this was about 400kc !!!

On 10 and 12 m I am placing a third element as driven element between the
two others. Because of the 3 ele and the higher stacking distance in
relation to wavelenght the stacked array will have 11.5 dBi of free space
gain.

I am now asking for any information if it is worth that I do further
optimizing of the stacked array. It seems to be easier to adjust and mount
two 2/3 ele 5 band Quads instead of one 4/5 ele Quad. Switching of
lower/upper/both would be an advantage. It seems that the bandwidth for
SWR>2 is larger.
BUT: Can two quads be really built with the same feed impedance that
matching of two of them could be done without measurement of phase angles?

73's
Gerhard OE3GBB