[TowerTalk] DX86 vs. HDX589

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 10:49:26 EDT

In a message dated 08/05/2000 11:14:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dave@dbtech.net writes:

> I am new to the list, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

    Actually I think this is a first.

>  I am purchasing a crank-up (in this case, motor-up) tower in the next week
>  or so. I have narrowed my choices to the Tri-Ex DX86
>  (http://www.firstcallcom.net) or the US Tower HDX-589
>  (http://www.ustower.com/selfsupport.html).
>
>  I am leaning toward the DX86 as it appears to be a bit more sturdy and has
>  the three cable system.

    What does "appears to be a bit more sturdy" mean? Both towers were
designed by the same guy - Lou Tristao - so they are slightly different
designs. The only way you could tell which one was "sturdier" is to get the
engineering calculations for each tower and compare them side-by-side. Unless
you're an engineer, interpreting the calcs might be semi-useful and the
differences subtle.

    I'm not sure what a 'three cable system' is. I know the US Tower has
positive pull-down and I'm not sure about the Tri-Ex. Nonetheless they each
have to have the appropriate number of cables to run it up (and down). They
probably even use the same cable schemes.

>  Regardless of which one I finally choose, the tower
>  will be purchased with the raising fixture, but without the remote control.
>  I see no need to spend a grand on a control box that can be easily
>  constructed. I also plan to fit the tower with an extra set of limit
>  switches in series with the provided ones (I want to be able to operate the
>  tower automatically during bad weather with some peace of mind).

    I'm not a big fan of remote controlling the raising and lowering of a
motorized crank-up. I know personally of several calamities that have
resulted from not being able to watch the tower as it was raised or lowered.
Extra limit switches won't solve this problem.

    Since you're asking which company to buy from, I would suggest that US
Tower is the market leader because of their quality products and customer
service. The resurrection of Tri-Ex towers recently has shown some start-up
problems, particularly messages within the last couple of days here on
TowerTalk. If it was me, I'd go with the known quantity.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
(not a US Tower dealer)