[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G screw-in guys

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 19:47:42 -0400

One of the earliest frustrations as a child that I can remember is
picking up a Chinese finger puzzle and imitating what I had seen my
parents do. I got them on my two pointer fingers and when they wouldn't
come off, kept pulling until they hurt so bad I started crying, at which
point they noticed what I was doing and rescued me.

I have since heard a story about someone who pulled the skin off one
finger getting the puzzle off the wrong way, apparently trying to prove
that it's grip was limited.

The compressive force on the guy cable exerted by a big grip under
tension is quite large, and INCREASES with tension. The tension exerted
by a guy clamp can only get less. They get up in the air where they
can't always be checked, and everything works to loosen them up.

W4BVV lost a 150 foot AB105 tower in a hurricane when a guy pulled
through 4 cable clamps. I recall Tom using a torque wrench to tighten up
the clamps. No big grips back then.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA