[TowerTalk] Paint for old towers??

Richard & Martha Wilder wilder@abs.net
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

I have 10 sections of >OLD< Rohn 45 that I wish to paint before erecting.
The galvinizing is really worn and rather smooth.  Five section had been
painted brown but at least 50% of the paint has been worn off; very
little flaking.  I didn't find any rust.

What paint is recommended?  I would like to do it in one coat.

I used some Rust-oleum on some Rohn 25 that is still in fine shape
after 15 years. But, the specific Rust-oleum paint is no longer listed.
It was 7769 Primer, 7775 protective coating (brown), and 7700 thinner.
I recall a posting a year or two ago (darned if I can find it in
the archives) that recommended other products reported to be better
than Rust-oleum.

If you wish to reply directly (k3di@arrl.net), I'll be glad to
summarize into one post -- a post starting with "Painting towers..."
which should facilitate future archive searches.

Thanks for any hints.  73, Dick Wilder, K3DI

  Dick's lifetime address is k3di@arrl.net