[TowerTalk] DX86 vs. HDX589

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:39:32 -0700

I have just finished putting new lift cables(3) on my TX472 and new
bearings in the pulleys(5). The tower is about 15-20 years old. The old
cables measure 0.195 OD and the new cables from UST are 0.250. It
appears that the new cables are much stronger than the old ones
(increased OD and larger Nicopress fittings).The old bearings appear to
have lost their internal grease seal and can be rotated only with
difficulty. They are labeled K-8 and are made by Norma and Nice. The
center bushing is 0.625 wide while the rest of the bearing is 0.500
wide. Four different bearing houses in Spokane were unable to obtain
identical replacemant bearings from the manufacturers so I had to
improvise with bushings on the ID and use slightly larger OD (required
small amount of lathe work).
 Using the definition that the top section is nr. 1 and the lower
section is nr. 4, here is the way its cables work. There is a single
cable attached to the bottom of section 1 going over a pulley in the top
of section 2 and attached to the top of section 3. A similar cable is
attached to the bottom of section 2, goes over a pulley in the top of
section 3 and connects to the top of section 4.
  The third cable is a multipass arrangement for mechanical advantage.
It connects to the bottom of section 3, goes over a pulley in the top of
section 4, goes down to a pulley in the bottom of section 3, around it
and up to another pulley in the top of section 4 and down to the winch.
This is the lift cable. As you pull on it, all 4 sections of the tower
extend simultaneously by the same amount. A very ingeneous system.
  The load on the top cable is the top section weight plus the mast,
rotator, and antenna weight. The load on the second cable is all of this
plus the weight of the second section. The third cable actually has less
stress since it makes 4 passes. A break in any of the three cables ,
when the tower is extended, means big trouble.
  I was given sets of stress calculations by the UST folks at Dallas
Hamcom convention in June. These were for the HDX 689 and HDX 5106
towers. The 5106 data table says there are single lift cables on the top
2 sections, 2 lift cables on the next 2 sections and 3 lift cables on
the lower 2 sections. I interpret this to mean that there are 2 or 3
parallel, single pass cables as noted but a single 3 pass cable between
the bottom and next higher section. Otherwise, they would have to spool
3 parallel cables on the winch drum and I doubt that they do this. Can
anyone confirm this for us? The 689 data says single lift cables on the
2 top sections, 2 lift cables on the next 2 sections, and 3 lift cables
on the bottom section.
  If I understand this, You have backup cables on some of the sections
but a cable break in the top 2 sections or the winch cable is bad news.
  The data for the 689 says there are single lift cables on the top 2
sections, 2 lift cables on the next 2 sections and 3 lift cables on the
2 bottom sections.
  I have been told that the Triex towers have 3 lift cables at each
level. However, I suspect that the main lift cable is a single one with
multiple passes and a break is big trouble. I also do not know what the
cable arrangement is on each tower. I suspect that the smaller towers
use single lift cables between sections but would appreciate specific
information on each of their towers.
  Can anyone confirm the above or add information on this topic?

73, Dan, N5AR