[TowerTalk] Brake delay adjustment

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:26:06 -0500

> I'd rather redesign the circuit though, and make it solid state switched
> with smaller capacitor for delay.  At least the current design is simple
> and cheap for the vendor to put together and not have to charge an arm
> and a leg for it.

Actually, Gary, I think that is pretty much what Brake-D-Lay does.  The RC
time constant is set by components at a lower level (pre-transistor
switch/driver to a relay), so the components don't have to be all that big.

I don't have it in my control box (I went with Rotator Pal), but I did
install them in the two control boxes at our club station at work.

Considering the conjecture about it in this thread, I'll try to stop off and
open up one of the boxes and sketch out the circuit real quick.  I don't
think that would upset CATS too much to generally describe the circuit.

In the Rotator Pal, low value RC components are also used ahead of a
switch/driver transistor that drives the relay.

73,
dale, kg5u