[TowerTalk] Naive question about lightning protection

tony_brock-fisher@agilent.com tony_brock-fisher@agilent.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:46:11 -0400

Don't clamp copper directly to the tower. Electrolytic action will dissolve
the nearby galvanizing.

Tony, K1KP

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark . [mailto:n1lo@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 9:40 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com; jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Naive question about lightning protection

Sylvan asked:

<<..snip..QUESTION: Could I put an automobile spark plug at the base of each

tower leg? The gap is easy to adjust, they are cheap to replace and simple
to mount. tnx Sylvan >>

A spark plug will not handle the tremendous current generated during a
lightning strike. It would handle induced surges from nearby strikes on open

wire feedlines, at much lower magnitudes, and perhaps small streamer
discharges on your tower, but my intuition tells me it would be handily
melted away by even the smallest of direct strikes.

Upon further thought, I will throw out this suggestion, using commonly
available materials and Ham frugality (cheap!). Let's expand on Tom's
copper pipe idea.
Now suppose you pound 12 inches of the end of the pipe flat, creating a
sharper edge on one side, and place this edge parallel to the tower leg.
This, in effect, creates a large, parallel path for potential arcs that will

form sooner that on the more rounded, un-flattened edge.
You might even use a mating copper edge clamped to the tower leg, such that
both sides now have sharper edges from which an arc will jump even easier.
Just some more brainstorming. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but the sooner
your arc forms, the more surge will be shunted away from your feedlines at
the bottom.
Sounds like you received many ideas direct. Thanks for posting the summary,
so that the TowerTalk archives will carry people's ideas. The more we post
to the reflector, the more people can learn from searches.

Good luck with your project, Sylvan.

--...MARK_N1LO...--