[TowerTalk] Rohn Info

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:57:30 -0700

I have investigated how I can distribute small bits of
interesting Rohn information and stay out of trouble with
everyone at the same time.  Rohn has copyrighted all of the
drawings and catalog pages and will not give me permission
to publish any of them.  They will, however, allow me to
copy individual sheets from Rohn Catalogs and mail them to
individuals who ask.

I consulted an attorney who told me that emailing an
individual scanned copy to an individual person who requests
one is really the same as sending a hard copy through snail
mail.

So here is what I am willing to do, until I get swamped with
too many requests, anyway.  Below is a list of Rohn Catalog
pages that have some information on them that may be of
interest to some of you.  If you want me to scan the page
and send you a copy, just request it via email and I will do
it.

1.  There was discussion about whether or not it was
appropriate to wrap a guy wire around a tower leg or whether
you must always use guy attachment hardware.  I have a page
from a 1977 Rohn catalog showing the proper way to wrap a
guy wire around a tower leg.  Request document 2536.

2.  There was some discussion about whether Rohn recommends
the use of Preform Guy Grips.  Of course, they do.  There
was also some question about Rohn's position on using End
Sleeves with Big Grips.  They say End Sleeves MUST be used
with all guy grips.  This information can be found on Page
HA-2 of the very latest Rohn Consumer Catalog.  Request
document 2537.

3.  There is some very interesting new information about the
use of 25, 45, and 55 towers in TVRO (Television Receive
Only) applications in the latest Rohn Consumer Catalog.  The
guying digrams show guys at a much steeper angle than any I
have seen before on any Rohn diagram and with a much larger
Effective Projected Area on the top than I have seen
before.  (48.9 square feet at 70 mph on 25G, for example).
This is a TVRO application, remember, and the load is
expected to be a 6 foot diameter dish and not a long boom
Yagi.  Still, the information is interesting because it is
so different than any I have seen before from Rohn.  Use
caution when applying this to ham antennas.  Better yet, use
a PE to apply it for you.  For 25G TVRO Guying Diagram and
Parts List, order documents 2538a and 2538b.

4.  For 45G TVRO Guying Diagram and Parts List, order
documents 2539a and 2539b.  (87 square feet at 70 mph, 8
foot dish)

5.  For 55G TVRO Guying Diagram and Parts List, order
documents 2540a and 2540b.  (94 square feet at 70 mph, 10
foot dish)

Are there any other Rohn documents or drawings you would
find useful that I can scan and send you?  I hope I can
handle the volume . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com