[TowerTalk] Rohn Info

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 06:32:01 +0000

At 10:01 PM 8/10/00 -0700, Stan or Patricia Griffiths wrote:

>I have heard of two reasons for using end sleeves on preforms.
>
>1.  On a long length of guy wire where several inches of ice may build up, as
>the ice melts, chunks of it several feet long may come sliding down the
guy wire
>at break-neck speed and as they hit the exposed ends of your preform at the
>bottom, unravel it . . .  If you live in a "no ice" area, this should not
be a
>probem for you.

The local Rohn dealer had a slightly different (IMO more plausible)
explanation.  He says that in the case of preforms with their ends facing
up, the risk is that water will run down the guy wire and freeze inside the
end of the grip.  Expansion can then cause the guy grip to progressively
unwrap.

Either way, they are easy to install and cost so minimal that I
enthusiastically endorse the idea.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at