[TowerTalk] COUNTERPOISE for Dipoles

Jeff Stai WK6I jstai@home.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:08:47 -0700

(this is a resend - sorry if doubles appear, but I think my ISP ate the first try)

Tom Rauch wrote:

> I first learned of this trick back in 1962 or so, when I saw the
> installation at W8PSX on 160 meters. He had by far the strongest
> 160 meter signal of anyone from his are, but ran no more power.
> He had a large counterpoise of parallel wires below his 160 meter
> dipole.
>
> When I did the same thing, people saw a definite improvement.

hi - could I please have a couple clarifications...? this is all new to me:

- Were the wires right below in a bundle or spread out by some amount?

- How many wires?

- Above the surface, below, or on the surface?

- 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave, dipoles, ?

- does this change the pattern or move the gain to a different angle?

thanks very much! - js

--
jeff stai
WK6I DM13