[TowerTalk] Raising the stakes: hams doing real-time measurement of angle of arrival?

James W. Fisher, Jr. 74237.2073@compuserve.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:20:02 -0400

Message text written by Pete Smith
>Wow, it strikes me that would be VERY difficult.  You'd need either a yagi
>with a narrow vertical beamwidth on a Hazer (or similar track system) or
>some sort of array that is phase-steerable in elevation.  Maybe some of
the
>old VOA systems had this capability(?).

>Further complicating the situation is the fact that during high sunspot
>periods as many as 7-8 different propagation modes may be simultaneously
in
>play, with signals as little as 3-4 dB different one to another.

>73, Pete Smith N4ZR<

Certainly sounds difficult--we may find nobody is doing it.

Long as I've posed a difficult task, let me make it tougher: I'd like to
see a system that could provide a computerized waterfall display (angle
displayed on  vertical axis, with signal strength displayed on the
horizontal
axis).  That should sort out your second comment.

73,

Jim, VE1JF