[TowerTalk] Definition of Ground Screen vs. Radials, Request for Information

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:16:49 -0400

> Nomex e-mail program is ON.  Flame away, but remember, some Towertalkians
> may be under 21.
>
> 73,
> Jan, KX2A

Hi Jan,

I checked my Communications Standard Dictionary and another
standard dictionary:

1.) A "screen" is defined as "a shield or filter". A radial system
behaves as a screen by filtering or shielding the earth from the
effects of fields around the antenna, so does a counterpoise if it is
large enough.

2.) "Radials" are defined as "conductors extending in radial
directions used as a ground, counterpoise, or earth connection in
an antenna system".  A screen that doesn't have radial conductors
can't be a radial system, even though the radial system can be a
screen or counterpoise.

3.) A "ground" is defined as a "direct connection to a conductor in
an electrical circuit, either accidental or on purpose".

I can ground my screwdriver blade to my antenna, but the antenna
won't be grounded.

4.) A counterpoise is "a conductor or system of conductors used
as a substitute earth or ground in an antenna system."

I can put a screen below a dipole, and it will establish a "substitute
earth" or counterpoise even if it has no connection.

5.) "Earth" is defined a "point in an electrical circuit that is
connected by a zero resistance path directly into or under the
ground". Earth is also defined as "one part of an electrical circuit,
such as in a ground return. A perfect earth is at zero potential no
matter how much current is forced into it".

Obviously there is no such thing as an "earth" by the first criteria,
so an earth can only be a ground return! We can't have a perfect
earth. No matter how we try.

I hope this clears up the needless confusion or ambiguity in
definitions.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com