[TowerTalk] Insulating Tower for use as a Vertical

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 05:14:34 -0600

There was a discussion on making one's own insulated tower sections
using non-conductive cylindrical rods.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to
find where I saved the information.  Several materials have been
mentioned, including fiberglass, DELRIN?,  plexiglas, etc.
Perhaps someone else has a better recollection of the preferred
material.  Two other comments on this subject are copied below.

Tom  N4KG

# # # # # # #

There was a few years ago an article in one of the magazines.  Most
likely
CQ or QST about doing some creative welding, pouring a concrete pedestal
and
using a dense foam and some kind of epoxy.  Sorry, all that info is at
work.
But if someone can tell you where to find that article, that would be
great.
If I don't see a message on the cluster in the morning, I'll look it up
at
work if I can get the time.

The basic idea was to have 4 bolts coming up from the concrete pedestal
upon
which you would put this dense foam pad and then weld a flat plate to the
bottom section of Rohn 25G.  Set that on top of the bolts with large
holes
in the plate which are then filled with an glue and more foam pads on top
of
the plate with large flat washers and a nut.  That way the plate only
touches the foam pads and glue, not the bolts.

Kind of neat.  I cut the article out for future reference.

73
Greg K9ZM

# # # # # # #

A lot of talk about how to insulate...why bother. That's a lot of weight
on insulators. Leaves the towers above ground during a lightning strike.
Seem to recall (?) that Rohn doesn't sell the insulated sections any
more. That's an interesting clue.

You don't need to insulate. Just gamma match. You will be putting a good
dense ground screen down, right? Connect the towers to the ground
screens. Load the gamma match against the ground screens. Put in a
regular ground system with rods to sink lightning strikes.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!