[TowerTalk] 4-Square Configurations

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:43:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/2000 9:26:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
w4ef@pacbell.net writes:

>  Seems like that could be accomplished with a low
>  dipole and a power splitter. This arrangement
>  could be used only for xmit in order to preserve
>  the high angle rejection of the 4-sqr on rx.
>
>  Mike, W4EF........................................
>

>  >
>  > Its useful to have a strong signal in Europe to send a sort of "stay away
>  > beacon" , but it's very risky and disadvantageuous when you don't have a
>  > separate receiving system (for DX) that rejects high angle waves.
>  >
>  > 73,
>  > Mauri I4JMY

ON4UN has elaborate Beverage receiving antennas, he uses 4square mainly on
transmit. Rather than having the horizontal radiation component cancelled out
by two horizontal radials, he lets the high angle signal out "for free",
without splitting the power and feeding the low dipole.
There was interesting problem on 80m with one of S50 stations during the
contest by using two antennas simultaneously fed - it created wide and mushy,
raspy signal. When I told them about it, the explanation turned out to be
that two antennas were too close to each other, RF was coupling into the PA
stages and causing crossmod of the signals.

Yuri