[TowerTalk] LM-400 query

Bill Putney billp@wwpc.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

Mike,

The answer is yes and no... I just recently upgraded all my feed lines to
LMR-400. The outer diameter is the same as RG-8. The problem comes with the
center conductor diameter. I have a box of 30 Type N bulkhead connectors that
won't work with LMR-400. Because the dielectric constant is slightly different,
the ratio of the shield to center conductor diameter has to change a little to
maintain the nominal 52 ohm impedance. The result is that the center conductor
is a little bit bigger than RG-8's.

I haven't had any trouble with P-L259/SO-238 "UHF" connectors. Type N
connectors are built to a little tighter tolerance. I found that connectors
that are designed to work with Belden 9913 will work with LMR-400 as well (your
milage may vary). Of course you can always buy connectors from Times for $15 a
piece...

- Bill

On Aug 16,  3:59pm, K9AJ wrote:
> Subject: [TowerTalk] LM-400 query
>
> Hello All,
>
> I've been told that Times LM-400 requires connectors different from the
> standard PL-259.  However, the specs for this cable indicate an od of
> .405", which is the same as RG-8, and none of the catalogs selling LM-400
> that I have here mention special connectors.
>
> Can someone help me out on this?
>
> 73's....Mike/K9AJ
>

> --
>
>-- End of excerpt from K9AJ

#  Bill Putney - WB6RFW            | My repeater:443.400 Mhz-100 Hz #
#  WWPC                            | It's not open, it's not closed,#
#  5780 Balmoral Drive             | it's controlled. It's open for #
#  Oakland, CA 94619               | membership (which is free...). #
#  billp@wwpc.com - (510)531-2412  | Go figure...                   #