[TowerTalk] 4-Square Configurations

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:17:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/2000 1:04:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

>  That's one of the MANY reasons I avoid small numbers of elevated
>  radials Yuri.
>
>  The radial system radiates a considerable amount in the nearfield
>  area, the strength of induction fields is very large around the
>  radials. They produce strong electric and magnetic fields, the fewer
>  the radials the stronger the fields near each radial.

and they make that vertical over ground screen or at the ocean front work
more efficiently, no losses in spreadout and dumpened in ground radials. I
agree with you if you are talking about inland, inclear vertical
installation, but that special case as 6Y2A proved works and is worth it!

>  Because of that, they induce lots of unwanted signal into any other
>  conductor near the radials. If that conductor happens to be another
>  antenna, and if the transmitter has poor output filtering, you can
>  generate mixing products in the output device that re-radiate.

True in small lot installation or congested area. No concern in contest setup.

>  A second problem is common mode currents. As far as feedline
>  currents, small ground systems on Marconi antennas really
>  aggravate the problem. It often requires multiple chokes on the
>  feedline to clean the system up. It doesn't take much common
>  mode current to screw up a modern radio, in particular because the
>  microphone grounds and keyer grounds are often not grounded at
>  all at the case entrance of the radio.

Ditto as above. Actually I am shooting for two radios on the same band setup,
where I can (with 2nd RX) get close to my CQing freq while transmitting.

>  ***The same problems can occur center feeding vertical dipoles,
>  where a single choke at the feedpoint often isn't enough.
>  It doesn't surprise me that they had problems in a multi-multi.

That WAS a problem with two antennas being too close.

73 Yuri  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/k3bu/index.htm">K3BU</A>