[TowerTalk] Yaseu G-1000

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 06:13:22 +0000

At 11:02 PM 8/17/00 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 08/17/2000 4:40:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>bob@picturesperfect.com writes:
>
>> Just put up one of those rotors.  The manual says to drill a 9 mm diameter
>>  hole through both walls of the mast, centered 50 mm from the mast bottom.
>>  I was advised not to do that, because a violent wind that twisted the mast
>>  could break the rotor.
>
>    Well, I only pin the mast if the owner absolutely insists on it or there
>are other mitigating circumstances (i.e. a big antenna with lots of torque
on
>a 2" mast). The problem is that if it's pinned, then the forces will find
the
>next weak point in the system and that's going to be gears or something else
>equally serious.
>
>    Like someone else mentioned, it's real easy to realign the antenna as
>opposed to doing a rotator swap when you have to wait until yours is fixed
>complete the job. OTOH some guys have spare rotators in the garage for just
>such a happenstance.

Another variation on the theme.  I just got a new G-800SA, and Yaesu
included a separate sheet stressing the importance of tightening the clamps
in the proper order, so as to avoid putting too much bending stress on
them.  Apparently, they feel that the problems reported with mast clamps
breaking are the result of improper procedures for the cast aluminum clamps
they use.

FWIW, my EF-240S/C-3 combination has been pinned for 4 years now with no
problems.  Force 12's antennas are designed to have relatively small
worst-case wind torque numbers, so maybe that's been a saving grace for me.
 I intend to pin the C-3 that's going on my new rotator, but would hesitate
to generalize.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at