[TowerTalk] Yaseu G-1000

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:02:11 EDT

In a message dated 08/17/2000 4:40:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bob@picturesperfect.com writes:

> Just put up one of those rotors.  The manual says to drill a 9 mm diameter
>  hole through both walls of the mast, centered 50 mm from the mast bottom.
>  I was advised not to do that, because a violent wind that twisted the mast
>  could break the rotor.

    Well, I only pin the mast if the owner absolutely insists on it or there
are other mitigating circumstances (i.e. a big antenna with lots of torque on
a 2" mast). The problem is that if it's pinned, then the forces will find the
next weak point in the system and that's going to be gears or something else
equally serious.

    Like someone else mentioned, it's real easy to realign the antenna as
opposed to doing a rotator swap when you have to wait until yours is fixed to
complete the job. OTOH some guys have spare rotators in the garage for just
such a happenstance.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech