[TowerTalk] Ground Rods into Concrete Stubs

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@VRINTER.NET
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:30:06 -0400

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods into Concrete Stubs
<snip>
1)  I've always been told it's not a good idea to allow any
metal used
as structure inside concrete to go outside the concrete --
that if you
do the metal will rust inside the concrete.  That's why (I'm
told
anyway) that you never let rebar extend outside the
concrete.  Doing
what you suggest would allow a rust path to your clevis
rods.
>>>BASICALLY TRUE

2)  I've also been told that it's NOT a good idea to run any
kind of
grounding rod or wire directly through the concrete.  If you
take a
lightning hit -- the intensity of the charge will be so
great that it
will "super-heat" the concrete and cause it to explode.
What happens
is the moisture in the concrete (there is moisture in
concrete even
long after it's cured) expands much more rapidly than the
cement,
causing the cement to explode.

73
BOB AA0CY/3