[TowerTalk] Planting Ground Rods

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:24:39 -0700

For many years I have been reading about using using water to assist in
getting ground rods into the ground. I, for one, am skeptical about the
quality of ground contact achieved using this method. Once the water
evaporates, I believe the surface area of contact between the rod and
the earth would be less than for one driven into virgin earth. Has
anyone measured the contact resistance using each method, particularly
after the water assisted rod has had time to dry up?
  I have used the fence post drivers (hollow tube with handles on each
side from Home Depot,etc) to install 25 or so rods in Dallas and Spokane
without any particular problems.
  I am also curious about the use of conductive chemicals to improve
conductivity. I believe the Radio Amateurs Handbook has described the
use of copper sulphate in a circular trench. Sounds like you would want
it buried pretty deep to avoid killing the grass, Hi. Has anyone made
measurements on ground rods installed this way?

73, Dan, N5AR