[TowerTalk] FT1000D Used Value?

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:45:53 -0700

Hi Tom: I have 2 negative comments about the rig. The pitch adjustment
for CW is done with a set of BCD dip switches under the small top
covered compartment. Very bad idea. Fortunately the pitch and sidetone
do track. The VOX adjustments are also in the same top compartment.
  The linear activation relay is very noisy. It can be disabled when
working barefoot only with an internal slide switch. Fortunately, on the
band data connector, there is a small transistor switch which can be
used to switch a larger external transistor for linear keying. There is
negligible delay on this output which assures your linear coming up as
fast as possible for obvious reasons.
Positive comments:The sub receiver is completely independent of the main
receiver. No shared circuits as in the 781,775DSP and possibly some
others.It can have both CW and SSB filters.and you can use the main rcvr
on one mode while the sub rcvr is on another. The main receiver can have
a wide variety of filters if you have a fat pocketbook.
  I had an opportunity to have my 1000D on my operating table with a
TS870s, IC775DSP, FT1000MP, and Omni 6 beside it for a week. I had
thoughts of possibly buying one of the later radios but couldn't see
enough difference to justify it. These radios have a wide variety of
adjustments via menu but I believe I would set them to my favorite
parameter values and then probably leave them alone.
  It is an easy radio to operate with large knobs and space between
them. You need a strong back to pick it up though.
  Early editions had a problem with a transmit spur around 14190 which
was there when you were operating anywhere on 20m. A lot 13 radio which
I tested did not have it, nor does my lot 16 radio have it. I am pretty
sure Yaesu fixed it  before lot 13.
  If you work CW ( which I know you do), close your key and reduce the
Drive knob until the output starts to drop. This will assure no key
clicks.
  I have no idea what the going price is but the optional filters in it
would be a big factor in the price.

73, Dan, N5AR