[TowerTalk] Compromise Vertical antenna ground system?

Avila, Edward EAvila@caiso.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:51:28 -0700

Guys (and gals)

Another grounding question if you don't mind? I've read and completely agree
with those recommendations describing a quality ground system for a vertical
-- many wire radials at least 1/4 wave from the base of the antenna.

Well, my problem/question: I have very little room to run horizontal radials
from the base of a Butternut HF2V I'm thinking of installing on the
ground.....at the most 10-15' in some directions, which is a little shy of
1/4 for 80 meters!  Any suggestions for a compromises ground system that
will make the best of what I have to work with? Would more ground rods help?
More radials, even though they will be electrically short?

I really want to try a vertical on 80-40, but concerned the lack of a
properly installed ground-radial system will lead to too much signal loss!

Thanks in advanced.........../k6sdw