[TowerTalk] hd-73 control box

Jerry Devine krr2ak@juno.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:50:18 UTC

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:31:29 +0000 n4vi@diac.com writes:

>Hooking up the rotor box before the SSB NAQP I had a
>small "strike" from Mr. Murphy.  Two of the wires on the back of
>the control box got shorted together.  Fortunately the results
>were not totally disasterous.  The rotor still turns (yeah!!),
>but the position indicator is off.  The indicator shows the
>antenna has turned 360 degrees when it has only turned 180
>degrees.
>
>Evidence (smell!) points to damaged control box.
>
>At anyrate, if anyone has a schematic and/or manual for the
>Alliance HD-73 control box I'll be glad to pay copying, postage
>and a small irritation fee ;-)  so I can figure out what to fix.
>
>If you have suggestions or have suffered a similar problem I
>can't wait to here what the solution was.  Probably best to
>answer directly to me!
>
>tnx es 73's

Chris,

Visit :

http://bama.sbc.edu/

You'll find the hd-73 manual there digitized.

Sounds like you flamed out the Zener.  I modified my own
hd-73 to use a linear voltage regulator instead.  It
offers a full shut down of the regulator should a short
occur.  I moved the dial lamp to be wired across the 28
volt line.  1 regulator, two caps, and an added input
fuse to the regulator makes the hd-73's metering circuit
just about bullet proof.

73,    Jerry                                     krr2ak@juno.com
[text|uuencode|59kb ea]
        'Y2K ?   Because 1k is 3 decibels down in amplitude. 9991 krr2ak'

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.