[TowerTalk] elements hang over lotline

Stu Greene wa2moe@doitnow.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:23:58 -0700

At 06:53 PM 8/24/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Oh no!!! A lawyer! ;-)

yup

>True but seeing it there doesn't necessarily mean the new land owner
>approves of it.  In my previous life I moved 3 different transmission
>structures because the conductor would encroach onto land outside of the
>easement during high wind conditions.  The new land owner did not approve of
>the line to begin with and his lawyer found a little known statute that said
>in part that upon transfer of ownership any existing encroachments were open
>to redress. Washington State has some unique land laws pertaining to
>encroachments.....I assume they copied them from other states.

Not necessarily. According to common law, which applies to all states
unless modified by statute,  an equitable statute of limitations
exists.  For example, you are the record owner of parcel 1 in subdivision
32B blah blah blah.  For twenty years I, as the owner of parcel 2, claim
parcel 1, develop it, pay the taxes on it and keep everyone off.  That's
governed by the law of adverse possession...I recall that the period under
common law was 14 years, and it varies by state.  I bring an action to
quiet title and guess what:  I win.

In the case of the antenna overhang, it's not adverse possession but a
license to use, an easement if you will.  Example:  I used to live in
Chappaqua, NY (new home of Slick Willie) and for at least a generation kids
cut through a path from our street to the next subdivision where the school
bus ran.  Guess what.  The owner died and the new owners called the cops on
the kids.  It ended up quite rapidly in Supreme Court, Westchester
County  and then in the Appellate Division, Second Department which
affirmed the trial court's ruling that estoppel had set in and the path had
become a public right of way.  The judgment obviously is a matter of record
and subsequent owners would discover the right of way in the title report
or by looking out the window and watching the kids.

Ain't law grand?

>I totally agree that this is better handled outside of litigation.
me too

73   Stu