[TowerTalk] elements hang over lotline

Brian Smithson bsmithson@alventive.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:24:20 -0400

This is really interesting.

My Brother is on the board of his neighborhood (CCR heaven) and he and I were
discussing some 'problems' they've been having with a certain homeowner. Each
home backs up to a 'common area' that they all share and everyone's lot stops
short of the common area. There is one guy who has made quite an attractive
garden behind his lot on the common area and the board is trying to decide if
they're going to let him keep it. At first, I was somewhat appalled because
it really is nice and it seemed so petty to make him get rid of it. My
brother explained this 'estoppel' thing to me.

Apparently, there is another twist. Estoppel only kicks in if there was
'implied consent'. That is, if the owner of the home where the kids were
cutting thru _gave_ them permission to cut though, that permission could
later be revoked. But since no one asked, and he just let the kids cut thru,
estoppel had set in.

I wonder where the line is really drawn, though. In the case of 'maintaining
parcel 1...' you are obviously caring for the land and even paying the
taxes. In the case of my brother's neighbor, he's not paying taxes but he
is taking care of it. In the case of the kids walking thru, they're doing
none of that.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if you can sell the mineral rights to your
property seperately from the property itself, will we be able to do the
same with the airspace?

-Brian n8wrl