[TowerTalk] Fw: KT34XA vs. ......

Roger Borowski Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:32:58 -0400

 Back in the late 80's, I replaced a TH6DXX with a KT34XA
and it was not one of my better decisions. I not only had poorer
performance on 10M and 15M, less F/B and apparent forward
gain,but had TVI throughout the neighborhood which I never had
with the TH6DXX. After changing insulators and baluns to no avail,
I temporarily changed my operating habits to keep the neighbors
at bay and spent lots of time on 30M, 40M, 80M, and 160M for a
few years. I now have a TH11DX and it not only outperforms the
KT34XA in every dimension, it does it cleanly and on FIVE bands.
Its too bad they are not available any longer. I believe it to be the
absolute best antenna I've ever owned in 40 years of DX'ing,
contesting, and hamming in general. All the antennaes I speak of
were mounted in the clear on towers between 70 and 80 ft. in
height with Philistran guys. -=Roger-K9RB=-