[TowerTalk] New Tower Construction - Questions

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:39:44 -0400

I just got my building permit today, so construction begins this weekend.

I do have some questions, and thought that the TowerTalk community might
have some answers:

* I'm planning to embed a Rohn 25 tower section in the concrete base. I'm
unsure if direct contact with the concrete will cause corrosion of the
section. Should embedded tower sections be coated with some kind of
protectant? Or would a protectant reduce the mechanical coupling between
the base and the tower? Is corrosion (other than pooling of water in the
legs due to improper drainage) not really a problem?

* I know I need a rebar cage in the base, but I'm fuzzy on the details of
how to construct it. This is a standard 2x2x4 foot base, and I understand
the rebar should be about 3" from the edges of the concrete. This
translates into a 1.5x1.5x3.5 foot cage. I can see rebar at all the
edges, how much is needed on the long faces? Are there horizontal pieces
on the way down each face? Spaced how often? How about spacing for
vertical pieces? Are there pieces on the top and bottom faces? Are there
any pieces on the INTERIOR of the cage? Isn't there a problem with rebar
and tower section trying to occupy the same space with the interior
elements?

* I plan to build a small wooden form to shape the top few inches of the
concrete base. Is there something you can put on wooden surfaces to make
the concrete not stick to it? This would make it easier to remove the
forms later.

That's all for now, other questions I got answered by searching the
archives. Great resource, TowerTalk.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales