Re[2]: [TowerTalk] New Tower Construction - Questions

R. Otto R. Otto" <N8NGA@one.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:44:39 -0400

Hello Bob,

Interesting point you make.....  I'm using a Heights Tower, and my
last tower was a heights Tower as well (great towers BTW).  One was
80' and the new one will be 112' and both required rebar "cages" even
though their "hinge bases" are made of heavy gage steel.  My comments
(which were personal opinion, not necessarily fact) about putting
rebar in ANY base, was due to:

A)  Every single structural project I've ever done, house or building,
has required some form of rebar cage for cement.  Even cement pools
have a complete rebar cage.  Driveways, walks, all when properly built
have a rebar or wire screen imbedded.

B)  All the Polyphaser data says that tieing the rebar cage to the
ground system enhances/improves the ground system.  Period.  Not maybe
-- it does!  <G>

C)  The specifications for both my Heights Towers, and even my old HBX
tower, required rebar in the concrete base.

Last but not least, it seems prudent to NOT place the tower in
the cement because once you do that, you can never replace a base
section. You would have to start over and pour another base.
Additionally, there are two observations I've made about Rohn towers
I've seen that were imbedded in cement.  One - when I've looked at a
tower that's been placed in the cement (and it's been there a while)
there seems to be degradation of the metal leg right at the place it
enters the cement.  I'm not sure if it's corrosion, or the affects of
freezing and thawing. Whatever the cause, it concerned me that the
tower may be weaker right at the bottom. Two, I agree with previous
comments from Steve, K7LXC, that if you do put the tower in the
cement, it has to go through the cement - and assume as he did that
this is to allow water to pass through the tower leg.

I guess there is one more thought to consider.  The discussion started
regarding a Rohn tower that isn't very tall -- and I 'spose I've
applied what I think is correct based on erecting a FREE STANDING
tower of significant height.  Perhaps if you are erecting a guyed 45'
tower, there is little need for a large cement base and rebar, etc.
For taller towers, or freestanding towers where the loads are directly
and completely in the base, rebar is essential.........  What do Y'all
think?

73's from.......

R. Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!