[TowerTalk] phasing question

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 02:13:11 +0000

Tom,

I recently persued this in EZNEC.  I have two towers of identical
height with 10 M antennas on them.  Their spacing is 10 wavelengths on
10M.

Case 1 - It is like a 6 element beam with 10 wavelengths between the
two "beams"
AZIMUTHAL
It turns out that for this combo you can get "rhombic" like pattern
with 270 degree phasing.  The description is hard to put in words.  It
had a single forward pencil beam of about 20 degrees width and then a
large number of vary narrow secondary beams each with decreasing
amplitude.  The largest of these lobes is down 2 db from the main
lobe.  If one connects the peaks with a dashed line, it approximates
the normal beam pattern for a single antenna.
ELEVATION.
The height of these antenns is 2.5 wavelengths.  That gives 5 lobes in
the forward quadrant. Phasing it as above accentuates the lowest lobe
and suppresses the others significantly.  The nearest secondary lobe
is quite narrow and 6 db down from the max.  The pattern is quite
dirty.

The overall gain was 3db relative to a single antenna.

Case 2 (both beams 90 degrees from above).  This is the usual
horizontal stacking configuration.  What is formed is an
inteferomenter where you get many, many lobes azimutally.  Again, if
you connect the peaks with a dashed line, it approximates the pattern
of a single beam.  PHASING DOESN'T MATTER MUCH.  I can't find the
elevation plots.  This looked like a looser to me.

Based on these studies, unless you have the good fortune to have two
towers line up in a perferred direction (JA), neither is too useful.
The first case is more useful than the second.

By the way, if the antennas are space 1 wavlength, one can get a neat
"inteferometer pattern" with only 3 lobes in the forward half-space.
The secondary lobes are down 15 db!  The forward lobe has a beam width
of about 30 degrees.  So if one want's to stack horizontally.  This
type of spacing is useful.

73 de Brian/K3KO