[TowerTalk] Mosley DE

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:26:41 EST

Towertalkians:

I am in the process of putting up  what I have been told is a Mosley "Classic
33" (used) beam for a blind ham.  Initially I was confused as to if the beam
was really a "Classic" or a "TA-33". By going to the Mosley Website, I was
able to resolve that the two antennas have different boom lengths. It is a
"Classic" length boom.

As the former owner of a "TA-33", I am convinced that the driven element I
have for this "Classic 33" is really a driven element for a "TA-33"!  The
Mosley Website does not get into specifics of the differences.

I now have the beam laying on top of the roof. When I swept if with my Autek,
I found the SWR to be good on 10 and 15 but to be a high of 8:1 in the 20M
band.

Based on the above, I have the following questions:

1. How does one tell a "Classic 33" DE from a "TA-33" DE? (Can someone
describe their "Classic 33" DE to me?)

2. Has anyone ever gotten into a Mosley trap? Is it the same basic
design/construction as say a CC?

3. Is there any "easy" way that one can tell which trap is which on a
weathered antenna since the Mosley color coding is long gone?? ( I am
concerned that perhaps the previous owner might have mislabeled the traps.)

TNX in advance for the assist!  I want to get this blind ham,  back on the
air ASAP --

Val
W5PUT