[TowerTalk] MFJ-259B and rechargeable alkaline bateries

Bill Putney billp@wwpc.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:01:48 -0800 (PST)

Kris,

I just recently bought an MFJ-259B myself. I noticed in the manual that there
is strap to enable charging or rechargable batteries. No where in the manual
does it talk about what kind of rechargable batteries to use. That should be 50
demerits for the technical writers at MFJ. My guess is that the tech support
people only know what one can get from reading the manual and if your lucky a
certain amount of folk lore (some of it correct). If you've read the manual
you've surpassed the limit of the support guys capability. In fairness it's
hard to be an expert on 100's of items and my bet is that the job isn't going
to make anyone rich fast. MFJ should try a little harder to have the supporting
information available though.

You're right about the RayOvac rechargable alkalines they have a special
charging scheme (it's described on the RayOvac web page in way too much detail
if you're interested) and want to be charged on cell at a time. Setting that
aside we can infer a little about what kind of batteries the engineers at MFJ
had in mind. The battery holder is for 10 cells. It seems to me that the
intention was that there be 10 cells of ~1.2V per cell. Then a charging voltage
slightly higher per cell doesn't put us above the recommended operating voltage
for the 259B. Charging a cell that operates at 1.5V in place opens the door to
running the 259B at above the recommended operating voltage.

I think NiCd or NiMH is the right choice. I do like the rechargable alkaline's
operating characteristics but they are a pain to charge in place.

73, Bill

On Dec 6,  4:26am, Kris Mraz N5KM wrote:
> Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-259B and rechargeable alkaline bateries
> The Ray0vac rechargeable alkaline batteries warn against charging
> in anything other than a RayOvac battery charger or risk leaking or
> rupture. Should I heed this warning or can I use them in the
> MFJ-259B and allow the built-in charger to charge them?
>
> [I asked MFJ but got no reply].
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kris N5KM
>
> --
>
>-- End of excerpt from Kris Mraz N5KM

#  Bill Putney - WB6RFW            | My repeater:443.400 Mhz-100 Hz #
#  WWPC                            | It's not open, it's not closed,#
#  5780 Balmoral Drive             | it's controlled. It's open for #
#  Oakland, CA 94619               | membership (which is free...). #
#  billp@wwpc.com - (510)531-2412  | Go figure...                   #