[TowerTalk] Log Periodics

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:59:21 -0500

At 12:59 AM 12/8/00 +1100, Peter Forbes wrote:
>Brian,
>
>That is exactly the point I am making. K7GCO claims that "a wider horizontal
>pattern means a wider vertical pattern" - I would question this.
>
>In the case of a 2 element yagi (or even a multi-element yagi) you can
>change the free space vertical pattern dramatically by tuning for max gain/
>max F/B, reflector or director etc.,  but in the case of a log cell, the
>situation is entirely different.
>
>I take your point about about super-long arrays where the odd harmonic
>effect of the longer elements can be reduced by terminating the longest
>element(s) with a shorting stub.

No engineer here, but ground losses (and ground reflection gain) aside,
I've always been taught that an antenna pattern is like a water balloon --
a bulge in one direction means a "squeezing in" must be present somewhere
else. Hence K7GCO's statement may be another way of saying that if the gain
in the forward direction is lower, one way this can happen is for the
pattern to broaden in either the horizontal or vertical plane, or maybe
both.  But cause and effect, I don't buy that....

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at