[TowerTalk] Log Periodics

Peter Forbes prforbes@tbsa.com.au
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:59:56 +1100 (EST)

Brian,

That is exactly the point I am making. K7GCO claims that "a wider horizontal
pattern means a wider vertical pattern" - I would question this.

In the case of a 2 element yagi (or even a multi-element yagi) you can
change the free space vertical pattern dramatically by tuning for max gain/
max F/B, reflector or director etc.,  but in the case of a log cell, the
situation is entirely different.

I take your point about about super-long arrays where the odd harmonic
effect of the longer elements can be reduced by terminating the longest
element(s) with a shorting stub.

Cheers

Peter  VK3QI

At 01:28 PM 7/12/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I would say that both of these posts are in the realm of speculation.
>
>There is no calculation for horizontal antennas I have done in
>EZNEC/AO that shows much modification of the vertical pattern due to
>antenna design with a few notable exceptions.  The exceptions are
>extremely long "boom length" antennas.  By long, I mean 5 wavelengths
>or more.  It may be possible to build such a LDPA so that at its
>highest frequency the boom is this long.  However, the design's I've
>seen for LPDA'S all have booms comparable to commercial yagi's.
>
>If you guys would provide an LPDA model for EZNEC, I'd be glad to run
>it and end the speculation.
>
>73 de Brian/K3KO
>

>Peter Forbes wrote:
>>
>> K7GCO writes:
>>
>> > Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC >>  This is very true but there is another
>> >variable.  IF THE HORIZONTAL PATTERN IS WIDER, SO IS THE VERTICAL
PATTERN and