[TowerTalk] Log-Yagis

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:06:49 EST

In a message dated 12/7/00 4:02:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:

<<
 In a message dated 12/7/00 11:50:21 AM Pacific Standard Time, K3BU@aol.com
writes:

 << In a message dated 12/07/2000 1:29:50 PM EST, ei8ic@eircom.net writes:

  << I'd be interested to expand the LP discussion and hear what people think
   about Yogis with a log-cell in them.  In the books they look useful
animals,
   but I'm puzzled why contesters don't use them, singly or in stacks.  Is
this
   mainly to do with the fact that people prefer to buy ready made equipment
   these days, and there aren't any of these being offered presently ??

   Tim Makins, EI8IC >>

  I found (experimentally) that using log cell in long boom antennas helps to
  clean up the pattern, widens the bandwidth, improves F/B. Nowadays
apparently
  OWA is talking care of all that (?), but I have no hard facts. KLM antennas
  used them, I used them with great success in Razor (Quad-Yagi) designs.

  73 Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV

 The Raibeam also uses a 2 element log cell in their 3,4 & 5 element yagis.
It is so effective in controlling the pattern that no reflector is needed or
a close 1st director and it gives the highest gain and F/B for the boom
length.  2 elements were eliminated.  The matching system gives 50 ohms and
great bandwidth.  It's the only improvement in yagi's 1922.  It is like
getting rid of "2 Gore Elements" and everything improves.  The beam
performance and the Stock Market goes up.  k7gco